Here are some of my shared thoughts on life, spirituality, parenting, politics, etc. Some are focused, some random, and some are just plain nuts! Either way, I'm putting them out there! Feel free to close the portal, if you can't handle it. Note: GENERAL comments are not intended to depict, nor be directed toward, any specific group or individual. Trust me, there'll be NO doubt if I'm picking on you!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

unsure footing

Ever find yourself in a place of "unsure footing"? Maybe you were hiking and came to an area of loose dirt or rocks. Maybe you were crossing a snow or ice covered walkway (or a freshly mopped kitchen floor). Or maybe your "footing" was unsure in the walk of life. You know, there are times when all of us have been unsure of the direction our lives if we're honest with ourselves. Even as Christians, we can sometimes find ourselves struggling to know God's direction in our lives. Should I buy the house or car? Should I marry him or her? Should we make the move? Take the job offer? Should I help this person? Why am I here? What, specifically, did you have in mind when you made me, Lord? Even the questions about our spirituality and why we believe what we believe can be unsure footing. Why do I believe this way? Because my parents did? Because I'm ____ (insert religious preference here)? Or because I'm convinced, according to God's Word - both written and spoken to my heart - that this is God's will and design? If you're in the woods, you might have a stick or a nearby tree or rock to hold onto. But in the journey of life we often seem to be all alone in our unsure footing, without anything to hold onto.

I've recently learned (or at least I've been reminded), by my oldest son (he's two), the best way to get through seasons of unsure footing. When Nathan approaches an area of unsure footing - literally - he will often reach out immediately for my pant leg or hand. He expects me to be there, and is actually a little surprised when I'm not right there. He says, "hold onto Daddy!" with all the confidence a two year old has that all he needs to insure his safe passage is to hold onto me. Concerning children, Jesus said, "the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Lk 18:16) Maybe we should be more trusting and expecting of our Heavenly Father as we traverse the unsure footing of our journeys. Thanks, Nathan, for the insight. And help me, Lord, to remember that simple phrase the next time I feel I'm on shaky ground - "hold onto Daddy!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>