Here are some of my shared thoughts on life, spirituality, parenting, politics, etc. Some are focused, some random, and some are just plain nuts! Either way, I'm putting them out there! Feel free to close the portal, if you can't handle it. Note: GENERAL comments are not intended to depict, nor be directed toward, any specific group or individual. Trust me, there'll be NO doubt if I'm picking on you!

Thursday, January 19, 2006

so, what do you do?

That's a loaded question, isn't it? Interesting how we have reduced who we are to what we do, as if that should be the measurement of an individual's life. How much does he make? Where do they live? What does she drive? Is that silk? Blah, blah, blah... How do we get so sucked into such rediculous ideas that what we do and what we have defines us? Perhaps it's the fact that many of us have lost our substance. We've become complex "onions", with layers and layers of elaborate "skins". Once you peel them all away (if you can), there's nothing there. We've lost our true selves in our creation of elaborate "fig leaves" and the best we can come up with is, "So, what do you do?"

How much fear would we strike into the hearts of those we meet, were we to instead ask, "So, what makes you come alive?" or "What is your greatest dream?" "What is your heart's desire?" "Who are you, really?"

Are we afraid to be known this way? Are we uncomfortable knowing others this way? It's just easier hiding behind our facades. It's easier to lie to everyone than to really be known and know others in truth. It's comfortable. It's better this way. It's misery and loneliness that cannot be cured with drink or sex or any of the other infamous salves we apply to the wound. Only true relationship can free us from this lonely lie. And only in Jesus can we experience that relational deliverance and freedom which enables us to relate to others with that same truth we find in him.

Jesus said the world will know we are his disciples by our love one for another. True love. This only happens when we are truly known by one another and embrace each other with all of our faults and weaknesses, encouraging and supporting each other in the journey of life. This is what God had in mind when he came up with the Church. Does your church look like that? Does mine?

I've heard a number of folks complaining lately about "the church" and all they are doing wrong. I think an appropriate response is, "So, what are you doing to become the church Jesus is returning for?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Drew Caperton said...

So, David, what are you doing to become the church Jesus is returning for?

I believe the reason this question is tough to tackle is because this answer speaks to form. That just by answering this simple question, you're answering the how, when, where, and why of it all at once.

So, really, you doing?

8:34 AM

 
Blogger Drew Caperton said...

um... I meant:

"So, really, what are you doing?"

8:35 AM

 
Blogger jerry said...

ok, mad props for the questions, what makes you come alive.....i'll have to start asking that to people when i meet them, and watch them squirm....its quite sad, i think most people do know though, they are just ashamed to admit it either cause they think its wrong or they just dont think they will seem "cool" unless they keep up certain appearances.....

i just read journey of desire, and he talks about when jesus healed the cripple at the well... the first thing he did, was asked, what do you want.....the guy must have thought, man what kind of stupid question is that....but jesus knew what he wanted, but the question is, did they cripple know what he wanted, or had he become complacient over the years of just "being what he was"

so lets do it man, lets start asking people and see what they say.....who knows maybe a few hearts might get rescued along the way....

8:47 AM

 
Blogger David said...

I don't often remember to check the comments on these things, sorry! In response, Drew, I think one of the things I'm doing is asking these questions of myself first, and attempting to be honest about my answers. I'm re-examining what I believe about God, Jesus, church, ministry, and attempting to be true to who I am and what I believe in the way I live my life. If I can "minister" in word or song to dozens, hundreds or thousands at a religious gathering but don't know my neighbor's name or needs, something's wrong. If I can remember the names of everyone to visit my church, but have no true relational connection, who cares? So, I'm trying to stretch myself and become fearless (concerning other's ideas or opinions of me) that I may freely love people (whether "saved" or not) just as they are - like Jesus does.

6:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>