Here are some of my shared thoughts on life, spirituality, parenting, politics, etc. Some are focused, some random, and some are just plain nuts! Either way, I'm putting them out there! Feel free to close the portal, if you can't handle it. Note: GENERAL comments are not intended to depict, nor be directed toward, any specific group or individual. Trust me, there'll be NO doubt if I'm picking on you!

Monday, March 20, 2006

risks of openness

I decided months ago to start this blog for the purpose of being "open", honest, real. Sometimes, openness can bite you in the butt. Worse, sometimes it can wound or confuse those you love. Such has proven to be the case with some former posts. The difficulty with writing is that, try as you might, you cannot always convey the heart and/or tone of where you are or where you're coming from. This is especially true when your words are not delicately chosen. Now, I'm not interested in being "politically correct", but I'm also disinterested in causing offense or burning bridges. In light of some recent outside observations shared with me in conversation, I considered several changes to this blog.

One thought was, just shut it down - keep a private journal only. I mean, who really cares what you think or what you're wrestling with. Just delete the whole thing and leave it alone.

Another idea was to go back and edit out any confrontational or critical appearing comments. Just tone everything down and make this a positive blog.

Finally, I decided to do neither of those. I believe that some who have or may read these writings can find comfort and encouragement in knowing that they aren't the only ones wrestling through these type of issues. I think it is better to allow the tension and weight of these wrestlings to be present, and for them to clearly reveal the struggle of those moments in which they were written. I also believe that it is important to revisit and update certain thoughts and ideas from time to time, revealing that life is indeed a journey - not a destination. As I walk through my journey with God and man, as only I can, there will be struggle, there will be mess, there will be anger and frustration. I think it is important that we know these seasons are normal experiences of the journey. I also believe that we must come through and past those places, lest we die there in bitterness of soul.

This also must be shared - that, regardless of our varying philosophies of ministry (and there are many), we who are in Christ are ONE in Him. Let me reiterate: We who are truly in Christ are one in Him! See I Corinthians 12:12 - 13:13. (Yes, I intentionally included chapter 13, as Paul did not send his letters dissected, and his paragraphs on love flow immediately after the paragraphs on the oneness of the body.)

All of this (and more to come, I'm sure) to simply say that my desire is that my heart be fully released into the hands of Christ, and that my life, relationships and ministry are they that build up others into him - not tear down.

I am purposing to do this while continuing to be transparent in my journey, whether struggle, victory, or even defeat be revealed in the process, that those who venture here may find encouragement in their journeys. May God bless you as you follow his dream for your life!

1 Comments:

Blogger Drew Caperton said...

Damn straight, David. In light of possibly-offensive content, cencorship is cheap and not using discretion is lazy. I believe you have described a "third way" through this struggle: correct what was wrong, explain what was mistaken, and allow the tension to bring you to unity with other believers.

And of course this is all done through Love, in Jesus' Name. You are courageous not only for being willing to stand for what you beleieve in, but also to "sit" in submission to the unity of the Body.

8:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>